Friday, December 10, 2010

Homemade Cat Treats --- FAIL!!!!


Okay, so I had this unstoppable idea that I should make cat treats for my beloved, 13-year-old cat, Darwin. It seems that gourmet dog treats are everywhere, like here and here. No love for the cats though. Or so I thought.

I've had this idea in my head for quite some time that cats should have cute, fun treats that they would love, and anyone that knows me is well aware of my stubbornness. Once I get like this, I can't stop it. My brain just does these things. I just have to ride it out. :)

Not to be deterred further, I decided to just make them. I bake stuff for my family, right? And Darwin is a big part of the family!

Here's the recipe that I came up with:

1 can Trader Joe's tuna for cats
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup ground oatmeal (you could use cornmeal as well, but Darwin is allergic to corn)
1/2 cup water

Mix ingredients well, then spoon them onto a cookie sheet in tablespoon sizes. Cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until crispy on the outside. Allow to cool before serving to the cat!

Makes about 20 treats.


I thought it was genius. I really did. Darwin tried one, but was kind of miffed that I wasted a can of tuna on cookies! He'd much prefer the straight tuna.


Then, I remembered. Cats are obligatory carnivores. They want meat more than anything. The flour and the oatmeal, well....the oatmeal is good for him, and the wheat helps too, but he really saw this as just more dry food, which he eats grudgingly. So...cookies were probably fine, but better as dog treats.

Soooo... Lessons Learned!
  1. Cats do not delight in cuteness like humans. A cannoli-shaped treat would not impress them in the least...unless it had live mice wrapped around it.
  2. Cats really love wet food in it's most pure form. Meat falls under this category.
  3. If you really want to treat your cat, cook up some chicken breast or sear some tuna and call it a day, just keep the portions small. Your cat will thank you. Just make sure to give them plenty of vitamin-rich dry food (I love Blue Buffalo) for their next meal.
  4. My cat is not speaking to me.

No comments: