Thursday, January 27, 2011

Redheads (Pumpkin Blondies)

If you keep up with my posts, you know that I recently made blondies. Until now, I was resigned to the fact that blondies are indeed one of the most unhealthy baked goods around, with a stick of butter and cup of brown sugar! However, in my quest to make them a little healthier, I discovered a third realm of the baked bar sweet -- redheads (thanks to April for helping me think of the name!).


Redheads are as simple to make as blondies -- mainly, the butter in the blondies is replaced by pumpkin and coconut oil. I know that pumpkin is usually something people eat in autumn, but come on! It's so delicious, and available year-round courtesy of Libby's. 

Yes, I used chocolate chips again, but I am very curious to try butterscotch chips, as I think that they would make a nice foil to the pumpkin.







Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sucanat or brown sugar (I used sucanat)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
1 tsp pumpkin spice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate or butterscotch chips

Yield is 9 large squares or 18 small.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for the chips, stirring until well combined.


Add the chips, and spread the mixture into a greased 8 x 8 pan. 


Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is firm. Cool completely and enjoy! 




No comments: