Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mashed potatoes!


I realized just the other day, as I was making a batch of mashed potatoes that I hadn’t shared my recipe! They are extremely easy, and I always get a lot of compliments on them. They actually reheat well, which my husband says is rare with mashed taters. These have a nice, fluffy texture that is also thick and satisfying. These taters would also be excellent with some mix-ins like shredded cheese, garlic, or some bacon bits! I like mine on the plain side, simple and classic!


Serves about 4 people.

Ingredients:

3 medium sized russet potatoes (you can use other favorites, but I use russets because they are cheap! White potatoes are discouraged, as they are sooo starchy)

2 tbsp salted butter

¼ cup 2% milk

Sea salt to taste


Bring approximately 8 cups of water to a boil. While your water is boiling, wash your potatoes, removing any bad spots, if present. Cut the potatoes into 1-inch squares. When the water is boiling, carefully add the potatoes, and cook until nice and soft, about 12-15 minutes.

Drain the potatoes, and place them into a large bowl. Add the milk, butter, and salt, and using a hand mixer (important, use the double beater hand mixer, not the immersion mixer, it will make a soup-like consistency), smash down the potatoes. Turn on the mixer, and mix until the potatoes have softened into proper consistency. Add more salt to taste, and carefully add more milk, if consistency is still too thick.

Enjoy!

No comments: