Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Sweet Life in Paris


I'm not even sure how I discovered David Lebovitz and his fabulous blog (http://www.davidlebovitz.com), but for the past few years, I've been an avid follower of his travels and culinary prowess. This is a man who has not only been a pastry chef in some of the best restaurants in the world, but has also cooked with Julia Child herself. I mean, if that doesn't qualify someone as knowing what they are talking about in the kitchen, I'm not sure what does.

After reading his blog for so long, and looking for an easy read, I decided to check out his memoir/recipe book, The Sweet Life in Paris. I was not disappointed. A wonderful mix of funny anecdotes, the hows and whys of his move to France, and several of his luscious recipes. This book is best enjoyed with an adequate supply of dark chocolate, and access to a bakery that makes a respectable pain du chocolat or baguette. :0) Believe me, I wanted both while I read page after page recounting his adventures (and misadventures) in French patisseries and boulangeries, not to mention his stories of Patrick Roger and chocolate making.

Also included are several tips and suggestions for travel to Paris. Always say hello when you enter a restaurant or shop, do not touch things that you have no intention of buying, and several other good tidbits for life in Paris.

Highly recommended for any lover of French food and culture, or anyone planning on travelling to Paris. Also,  make sure to check out his wonderful blog!

No comments: